What is the GSK Sustainable Procurement Programme?

GSK follows a procurement strategy to encourage their suppliers to take action on sustainability commitments

The GSK Sustainable Procurement Programme was launched as part of work to achieve environmental goals to have a net zero impact on climate and a net positive impact on nature.  The programme means GSK will require and support suppliers to take action on sustainability commitments and make improvements on emissions, energy, heat, transport, waste, water and biodiversity.

Company data indicates 40% of their carbon footprint comes from their supply chain, which also means their suppliers account for a significant proportion of GSK’s impact on biodiversity, water and waste. The result of this is that working with supply chain partners is essential if GSK is wanting to make significant progress towards their sustainability targets. GSK’s Sustainable Procurement Programme requires and supports suppliers to take action on carbon, power, heat, transport, water, waste, and sustainable, deforestation-free sourcing of materials.

GSK House, London (Credit: GSK)

Key Areas of Action

  • Disclosing emissions 
  • Setting carbon reduction targets and delivery plans aligned to the 1.5 degree Science Based Targets initiative
  • Switching to renewable power and heat
  • Achieving water neutrality in water stressed areas
  • Achieving 10% waste reduction
  • Aligning to GSK’s responsible sourcing minimum standards
  • Transport suppliers providing green transport solutions

"As a global biopharma company committed to getting ahead of disease together, we must work closer than ever with our supply chain and beyond to catalyse positive change across environmental systems and protect the health of the planet and people," said Lisa Martin, Chief Procurement Officer at GSK.

Lisa Martin, Chief Procurement Officer at GSK

How does GSK support suppliers?

The company uses the programme to actively support their supply partners with education, and adopting environmental sustainability measures. The intention is supplier action will in turn help GSK achieve its environmental goals on climate and nature, as well as helping both GSK and its procurement network create long-term value and build more business resilience.

GSK Net Zero Strategy 

The procurement strategy plays an important role in the wider sustainability plan for GSK who have set a pathway to net zero impact on climate.  By 2030 the company is aiming to reduce carbon emissions by 80% with the remainder offset through investment in high-quality nature-based solutions, and by 2045, they aim to be at the

Science Based Target Initiative Net Zero Standard, with carbon emissions reduced by at least 90% and the remainder tackled through high-quality offsets.

  • 2025 - 100% renewable electricity (scope 2)
  • 2030 - 80% reduction in carbon emissions and investment in nature based solutions for the remaining 20% of footprint
  • 2045 - Net zero emissions across all scopes in full value chain 

Make sure you check out the latest edition of Procurement Magazine and also sign up to our global conference series - Procurement & Supply Chain 2024 

**************

Procurement is a BizClik brand 

 

Share

Featured Articles

The Global P&SC Awards: One Month Until Submissions Close

Just one more month until submissions close for The Global Procurement & Supply Chain Awards in 2024

Top 100 Women 2024: Andrea Albright, Walmart – No. 6

Procurement Magazine’s Top 100 Women in Procurement honours Walmart’s Andrea Albright at Number 6 for 2024

Evolving Business Needs & Technologies Reshaping Procurement

Companies worldwide are revisiting their approaches to procurement as business requirements and technologies rapidly change, according to ISG's report

Top 100 Women 2024: Alexandra Hammond, NHS England – No. 5

Procurement Strategy

Procurement & Supply Chain LIVE Dubai: One Month to Go!

Procurement Strategy

Top 100 Women 2024: Aurelia Tremblaye, ENGIE – No. 4

Digital Procurement